Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Book Review: The Emerald Talisman

I got The Emerald Talisman by Brenda Pandos as a Kindle freebie. I'm glad they decided to post it as one of the weekly offerings because I probably wouldn't have picked it up otherwise. While Pandos's world of Julia, Nicholas, and their vampire foes was not the most intellectually stimulating place, it was entertaining and fun.

Julia Parker is a sixteen year-old high school student with an empathic ability and an otherwise ordinary teenage existence (complete with catty frenemies, charming new guy, reliable bestie, and unrequited love). She meets the handsome and mysterious Nicholas when she is attacked by an unknown creature and he rescues her (cue Julia's uncontrollable swoon). When disappearances and murders begin to plague her town, Julia discovers Nicholas's secret life as a vampire hunter and the existence of supernatural creatures in her everyday life.

Well, I'm not sure what else to say. The only real issue I had with this story was Julia's uncontrollable swoon over Nicholas. It's not the fact that she was instantly drawn to him that I don't buy. He saved her life, of course she's going to have a mad crush on him. What I don't buy is that becomes a full-blown obsessive love in a matter of days. There are fewer things more powerful than first love, but I wish we could give teens a bit more credit. Julia has her head screwed on straight and it felt a bit forced for her to come completely undone by the magnitude of her feelings for Nicholas.

I did enjoy Pandos's take on vampires and especially the siring process. It was definitely different than what I'm used to seeing and I applaud her ability to bring some fresh ideas to the vampire story. Overall, good read. It's perfect if you're looking for some lighter fare for spring. It is the first of three books in the series and I'll probably end up grabbing those as well.

Educate yourself on the topic in this post:

No comments:

Post a Comment