Monday, December 12, 2011

Cupcake Fail

I love baking. I actually want to write a story about a pastry chef someday. That's another blog post though...this post is about my failure at cupcaking.

Yesterday was my mom's [redacted] birthday. For her birthday dinner, I decided that I would make cupcakes from scratch. I trolled the internet and found a couple of recipes for red velvet and carrot cake cupcakes with a separate recipe for the cream cheese frosting.

The cupcakes came out in a more-than-edible state, but I was heartbroken over what I saw to be abject failure. I had never attempted any of the three recipes I tried yesterday, but like everything else I do in life, I expected them to turn out Happy Cakes quality the first try. (If you don't know Happy Cakes, check the link at the the bottom of the post and discover greatness.) Even though everyone who tried them (my husband, friend, mom, dad, brother, sister-in-law, and sister-in-law-to be (I have two brothers, one didn't try the cupcakes)) all assured me that they turned out good, I was near tears.

Something you may not know about me, I'm a perfectionist. (If you hadn't guessed, this post is more about me and how I deal with the less-than-perfect in my life instead of cupcakes.) I was so disappointed because I actually tried and didn't live up to my own expectations. There is very little in my life that I don't think I can do if I really apply myself. I'm not sure if this is a result of an overinflated sense of self-confidence or because I'm just that awesome (usually). Throughout what some have called a charmed existence, I have found that I am a capable person capable of good things.

I came to a resolution last night while I was moping in the car on the way home; it's ok for things not to turn out perfect the first time, or even the second and third times. Some things take practice and I need to be patient with myself. I certainly don't expect others to do things exactly right the first time through and I need to learn to apply that same mindset to myself. So expect to see a post (or two) about future baking adventures, because a little stumble won't keep me from Daring Greatly in the future. Not with baking, not with writing, not with anything.

Educate yourself on the topic in this post: http://www.happycakes.com/ - Happy Cakes greatness :)

No comments:

Post a Comment